The
Government is facing the prospect of a raft of damages claims after new
figures reveal the UK's solar industry has contracted by 25 per cent
following the disastrous handling of cuts to the Feed-in Tariff (FiT)
scheme.
The research found more than 6,000 jobs had been lost, which according to
Cut Don’t Kill campaigners "brutally unmasks the Government’s rhetoric on promoting
renewable energy".
And while 92 per cent of the surveyed
solar companies
said they were "worried" or "very worried" about the future of the
market, 72 per ent of firms said they had suffered financial loss as a
result of the Government's unlawful handling of subsidy cuts last
December.
The figures, released today, come as the UK hosts a
Clean Energy Ministerial summit for 23 of the world’s largest economies
today, which Prime Minister David Cameron is expected to speak at.
On
April 1 the Coalition Government slashed the FiT rate at which
homeowners are paid for generating solar power from 43.3 pence to 21
pence. Changes to the scheme were initially announced in the autumn of
2011.
And the Government is currently consulting on further
reductions in July and again in October. Options for the July cut stand
between 13.6 pence and 16.5 pence.
However, a survey of just
under 200 UK solar businesses suggests that cuts to the tariff so far
have had a devastating effect on the industry.
Key findings of the snapshot study of the state of the industry include:
•
There has been a 25 per cent fall in employment in the sector since
July 2011, suggesting that as many as 6,200 jobs have been lost
• 43 per cent of solar companies have reported that they will make redundancies in "coming months"
• Of the 190 companies surveyed, total financial losses exceeded £66 million as a result of FiT cuts
• 93 per ent of companies reported business as "very slow" at present
• 92 per cent were either "worried" or "very worried" about the future of their business
• 72 per cent suffered financial losses due to FiT cuts in December 2011
• 96 per cent are unhappy or unsure with the proposed FIT rates.
The
evidence suggests that the current 'greenest Government ever' has been
going backwards, despite comments from Energy Minister Greg Barker this
week that the Government was determined "to seize the momentum" in
promoting
renewable energy.
According
to the 'Cut Don't Kill' campaign, the Department for Energy and Climate
Change has admitted previously that its own figures show one third of
staff currently working in the UK solar industry will lose their jobs in
2012.
Campaigners say solar remains one of the safest bets for
Britain’s future energy needs: offering a resource that is clean,
unlimited and homegrown. Such a future is, however, dependent on a
strong solar industry to implement it. The current programme of cuts to
the FiT risks killing off a fledgling British success story.
Howard
Johns, spokesman for Cut Don't Kill said: "If the Government is serious
about seizing the momentum and boosting renewable energy jobs it has a
very funny way of showing it.
"After the total policy shambles
of the last six months it is now vital that the Government’s actions
need to match their soothing words. The Department for Energy and
Climate Change need to think again and abandon the next round of
swingeing Feed-in Tariff cuts expected in July."
And Alan John,
head of renewable energy at leading law firm Osborne Clarke, added:
"These statistics support what the UK solar industry has long suspected
about the impact of the FiTs cuts. The drawn-out process has seriously
affected major parts of the industry and many people’s livelihoods.
"The
Government now needs to work very closely with the industry to rebuild
trust and help make solar power one of the central planks of the UK’s
renewable energy commitment."
Like this story? Please subscribe to our free weekly e-newsletter at the top of the page for more content like this.
http://www.greenwisebusiness.co.uk/news/uk-solar-industry-shrinks-by-a-quarter-3266.aspx